17 July 2020
Have you every engaged in self-handicapping? Of course you have. We all do, sometimes. It’s a way of protecting our self-esteem and public image.
How? By pointing out external factors that may or may not have caused our poor performance or failure.
Why? Self-handicapping cannot prevent failure. But it can soften the blow.
(When? There are several situations when we like to self-handicap to protect our esteem and public image. But consider this key one: in situations where we experience social anxiety. So keep your distance. Enough said.)
Here’s your Friday Trigger Question(s):
Did you engage in self-handicapping this week? (Why? Did it help?)
Don’t forget to review our 5 regular Friday Trigger Questions:
- What did you succeed at or achieve this past week?
- What had you planned to do or to achieve this week, but did not?
- What did you fail at this past week?
- What surprised you, or caught you unprepared, this past week?
- What important or mutually beneficial relationship changed this week?
Bonus Question: What had you worried or concerned, but never happened?